Lunch FAQ

Dear Parent / Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn. Utah County Academy of Sciences offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.90; lunch costs $3.25. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch. 

This packet includes an application for free or reduced price meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions. 

Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

All children in households receiving benefits from Utah SNAP, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or Utah TANF, are eligible for free meals.

• Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.

• Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.

• Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.

• Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.


Household sizeYearlyMonthlyWeekly
Each additional person:$8,732$728$168

Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Jennilyn Derbidge at 801-225-8227, or

No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Utah County Academy of Sciences, Attn: Anne Orton, 2121 N 550 W, Provo, UT, 84604

No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Anne Orton at 385-375-3021 or immediately.

Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year, through October 1, 2022. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals , your child will be charged the full price for meals.

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please send in an application.

Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Tarra Merryweather, Business Manager, at 801-225-8227, or

Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.

List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Anne Orton at 385-375-3021 or to receive a second application.

To find out how to apply for Utah SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call Utah Department of Workforce Services at 801-526-0950.

If you have other questions or need help, call Anne Orton at 385-375-3021

Sincerely, Anne Orton

Partnered with the Utah Valley University