UTAH COUNTY ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
Policies and Procedures on
HIRING PRACTICES FOR FULL TIME, PART-TIME, AND SUBSTITUTE EMPLOYEES
It is the policy of the Utah County Academy of Sciences (UCAS), not to discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, national origin, religious creed, or disability in its educational programs, activities, admissions, access, treatment, or employment practices.
Staffing services for substitute teachers and classroom technicians at UCAS shall be procured through in-house substitutes, Ready2Teach or Kelly Services, Inc.
Substitute Teachers that are not employees of UCAS, but rather employees of Ready2Teach or Kelly Services do not have any contractual relationship with UCAS, nor do they have any expectation of employment.
- All substitute teachers staffed through UCAS, Ready2Teach or Kelly Services shall comply with Utah Code Ann., §53A-6-109, Utah Admin. Code, R277-508-1, et seq., and specific UCAS requirements, including, but not limited to, eligibility, criminal background checks, licensing, hiring priorities, time limitations, physical and mental fitness, training, etc.
- When a Substitute Teacher is required, the teacher shall notify the administration and shall follow the procedures designated for arranging for a Substitute Teacher to be staffed through an in house substitute, Ready2Teach or Kelly Services as far in advance of their anticipated absence as possible. Under normal circumstances, the teacher has the responsibility to provide the substitute with appropriate lesson plans, seating charts, classroom procedures, and other appropriate instructions.
- Substitute Teachers will be paid by Ready2Teach or Kelly Services in accordance with the Educational Staffing Agreement.
- UCAS reserves the right to use the current professional staff to substitute for classes when this option makes this a logical choice.
2. REGULAR FULL TIME AND PART TIME EMPLOYEES
When job openings have been approved, an administrator will advertise for applicants online, through the University, and other means. All job applicants for classified positions will be screened by the UCAS administration. Applicants having met all predetermined requirements will then be recommended for further interviews. Each new hire will be informed that their employment is conditional until approved by the Board of Trustees.
It shall be the policy of the Utah County Academy of Sciences to comply with Utah State Code (U.C.A. 52-3-1) as it relates to employment of relatives. It will be permissible to hire any relative of any employee as long as that employee will not be supervised by a relative. Exceptions to the above code will be allowed if they are exceptions noted in the above referenced code.
Tenure is not granted to UCAS employees.